Sunday, September 23, 2007

Interview Tips: Body Language

I found this article interesting: http://www.careerjournal.com/jobhunting/interviewing/20021205-raudsepp.html

I know that body language plays an important role in how people judge one another during any situation. Interviews are no different. However, I'm already sufficiently nervous going into an interview. Concerns about body language add to the growing list of things to remember.

According to the article, a response carries 55% of its strength through body language. Over half of what a person tells during an interview is through the way he carries himself. That's a little mind-blowing. That an interviewer could judge me based on whether I flip through a magazine or notes before the meeting overwhelms me. Everything from eye contact to sitting down at the beginning gives people reasons to dismiss me or welcome me into their company. It seems that the less confidence a potential employee is, the more negative body movements he will have. I guess the only way to solve this problem is to fully prepare for an interview and maintain confidence in my skills.

No comments: